Engineer/Scientist - Hydraulic Modeller (Fixed Term with potential for permanent after 12 months)
Where truly outstanding people design and deliver engineering success. BMT was formed in 1985 and is the largest, independent maritime research and technology organisation in the world. BMT has over 30 offices on five continents and employs over 1,200 technical staff. We provide services to industry, commerce, policy-makers, regulators and public sector operators in the fields of energy and environment, transport and defence on a global basis. The ongoing success of our company is found in our dedication to scientific and engineering excellence, value for money, innovation and a strong customer focus.
The company's team of highly qualified engineers and scientists are committed to using their skills and experience to the benefit of their clients, communities and the environment.
• We are adventurous thinkers, and responsible, responsive doers.
• We constantly challenge ourselves, our colleagues, our partners and our competitors.
• We use BMT's breadth and depth to find new opportunity.
• We raise the standards for integrity and presentation in everything we do.
Our London office has some exciting projects to deliver and is looking for a Graduate Engineer/Scientist - Hydraulic Modeller to support the delivery of these projects over the next 12 months. The role requires an analytical background in engineering, mathematics or computer science.
Depending on your level of experience, responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking hydraulic modelling to inform a wide range of flooding projects in the fields of flood warning and forecasting, flood risk assessment and surface water studies.
- Assist in the delivery of projects from inception to completion, ranging in size from site specific studies to national scale projects.
- Liaising with clients for the purposes of service delivery.
- Working as part of a project team to develop innovative solutions and deliver high quality projects requiring a high level of individual judgement and initiative.
- Working as part of a project team to deliver projects to scope and within time, cost and quality requirements
- Maintain, calibrate and record activities
- Gaining experience more broadly within BMT WBM, including coastal processes, water sensitive urban design and water quality modelling.
- May contribute to technical papers and industry/conference presentations.
- Working towards gaining and maintaining Chartered Status.
- Training, guiding and mentoring Graduate Engineers/Scientists
It is essential that candidates have knowledge and demonstrable experience within UK engineering or UK flood management sector. Successful applicants will also be required to address the following essential criteria:
- Completed (or completing) a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant area of study.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A proactive and positive attitude.
- Keen interest in identifying, developing and applying leading edge technology and innovative approaches.
- Right to work in the UK.
The following attributes are desirable:
- Experience working within the UK engineering or flood management sector.
- Postgraduate qualifications or research experience in a relevant field such as flood hydraulics, hydrology or floodplain management.
- Experience using hydraulic modelling packages (TUFLOW, Flood Modeller, InfoWorks ICM).
- Knowledge of FEH methods and rainfall runoff calculations
- GIS skills in one or more platforms such as ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGIS.
- Basic computer programming and software development skills.
You will be joining a company whose culture is focused on the sustainability of the business's core values, in which the personal and professional development of our staff, the flexible ‘family' friendly workplace, the challenge of innovative work, and the enjoyment of what we do is paramount. This is an initial Fixed Term opportunity with potential for permanent after 12 months.
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV, should be forwarded to Tiffanny Jackson-Davey, HR Business Partner, BMT Group Ltd, (email@example.com).
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job.
For further details about the BMT Group visit our website http://www.bmt.org/
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying
Tiffanny Jackson Davey on +44 (0)20 8614 4271